Italiano Deutsch English

Comacchio fully preserved its character of a lagoon town, with waters flowing across it in every direction and surrounding it for a tract as in the past, when the only way to get to Comacchio was by boat. The history of this town has always been intertwined with the activities linked to the exploitation of the vast open waters of the valleys surrounding it and to the productive salt pans. The town in the past had been under the Church and then under the Estensi Household (1325), then to the Holy See again in 1598. The architectural renaissance of the Town is to be attributed to the hydraulic and architectonic works carried out during the second half of the 17th century commissioned by the Apostolic Chamber.

The ponte dei Trepponti (the bridge of the three bridges) symbolises this 17th-century architectural renaissance: it connects the "Pallotta" to the town; from this bridge the internal waterways of the town spread around via a thick network of channels. From the Trepponti, a priviledged place of observation, you can see the perfect symmetry of the low and colourful houses of the town which reflect in the channels, characteristic "waterways" crossed by terracotta brick bridges.


The coast
The Comacchio shore extends over more than 23 kilometres. The seven beach villages on the shore offer different ways to experience nature while on holiday. Hotels, holiday homes and restaurants offer a variety of solutions all year round for vacations integrated with the Park. Proceeding from thorth to south there are: Lido di Volano, Lido delle Nazioni, Lido di Pomposa, Lido degli Scacchi, Porto Garibaldi, Lido degli Estensi and Lido di Spina.

Trepponti
A monumental art work in terracotta and Istria stone bricks built in 1634 and designed by the architect Luca Danese. This bridge presents three anterior and two posterior flights of stairs; two high square-based towers emerge on the upper part of the bridge.


The fish market
Built in the 1600s, it is one of the most ancient buildings of this lagoon centre.

Inside, shown on the marble counters, you can buy fish products typical of the area.


The Museum of the Roman Ship
In the town centre of Comacchio, in the Museum of Human Culture in the Po Delta, there is a section dedicated to Comacchio's Roman ship. This museum displays a vast collection of religious and work objects, which constituted the cargo found aboard of the ship. The hull of the ship, which is now being restaured, is in the pavillion next to the museum.

 

Ponte degli sbirri
This bridge in terracotta bricks was the work of the architect Luca Danese from Ravenna. It connects Palazzo Bellini to the old prisons (which now host the municipal departments for Tourism and Public Education) and to the old San Camillo Hospital.

San Camillo Hospital
Opposite to Palazzo Bellini, it is ornamental to Canale San Pietro. The construction began in 1778 and the façade is neoclassical. On the left side, there is the "Spatale" church dedicated to St. Peter.

Palazzo Bellini
Built in the 19th century as the home of a noble family, it now hosts the Civic Art Gallery, the municipal library and historical archives.

Loggia dei mercanti

Grains storehose at the centre of the town, it was built in 1621 by orders of the Cardinal Giacomo Serra.

Clock tower
The irregular octagonal base of the tower is in Istria stone. It was built in the first half of the 19th century: in the centre a niche hosts the statue of the Holy Virgin of the presentation, in polychrome terracotta of the 16th century.

San Cassiano Co-Cathedral
The cathedral was rebuilt in the 17th century on the rests of the older cathedral which dated back to 708. The façade plays with the pink nuances of the baked bricks and on the whites of the Istria stone; inside the church has a single nave and twelve side chapels. The bell tower, rebuild in 1866 preserves the ancient base.

Loggiato dei Cappuccini

Built in 1647 to connect the town centre to the Sanctuary of S. Maria in Aula Regia, it counts 142 arches.

Santuario di S. Maria in Aula Regia
Renown since the 12th century, the Sanctuary is situated in the western part of the town. Next to the Sanctuary, there rises the Museo Mariano.

Chiesa SS. Rosario
Erected in 1618. it preserves important works of art inside.

Rione San Pietro

Particularly fascinating, it maintains the architectural peculiarities of a town linked to the water element.

 

NEWSLETTER

To be constantly updated on the activities of the Management Body for Parks and Biodiversity - Po Delta

Subscribe Unsubscribe

submit
AREA LEADER



View
MAPPARE IL FUTURO

Scientific Website of the Po Delta Park

View