Italiano Deutsch English

The Volano – Mesola – Goro station is the farthest up North station of the Po Delta Park in Emilia – Romagna; it is on the borders with the Venice and it represent the actual intersection with the active Delta of the Po river, maintaining many of the specific morphological characteristics of the area. The area is almost entirely below the sea level, with the exception of some residues of dunes, where the built-up areas around Mesola and the Romea road arise. The damming, true inland architecture, safeguard and protect the territory against over-washing.

 

The whole system extends over a surface of more than 12,00 hectares. These lands, which were mainly drawn out of the water with drainage works over the centuries, still present important testimonies of art and natural wonders of great value. 

The Po di Goro is the southern branch of the Delta and it marks the Northern border with the "station" for nearly 20 kilometeres. The Park includes the sacca di Goro, the mouth of the Po di Volano, the marvellous Bertuzzi, Cantone and Nuova Valleys and the Mesola woodlands, a vast holm oak wood hosting significant populations of Red Deer and Hermann turtles.

 

 

The Estense Castle of Mesola

Commissioned by the last Duke of Ferrara Alfonso II between 1578 and 1583, on a project by the Architect Giovan Battista Aleotti, as a "site of delight" to host the court during beating and spring fetivals, it was a defense in a bordering area. A 12-kilometre wall, including the woodland, departed from the Castle, which today hosts the New Environmental Education Centre. This centre provides, in a pleasant way, fundamental information to understand this landscape shaped by the river, woodland and lagoons.

 

Pomposa Abbey

The Pomposa Abbey, five kilometres from Codigoro, and the Po Delta Park are stringed together. The abbey, built in the VIII-IX century, is one of the most visited monuments in Italy, according to the statistics of the Ministry of cultural heritage. The beauty of the frescos decorating the indoors of the basilica reveal that in the early Middle Ages Pomposa was a religious and civil power centre. The inside of the church, with a nave and two aisles, was decorated in the 14th century by artists of the scuola bolognese, among them the hand of the leader, Vitale, is well recognisable. The paintings, full of pathos, represent scenes from the Old and the New Testament (on the sides of the nave) and scenes of the Apocalypse (on the arcades).

The monastic complex comprises a cloister with a well in the centre, a Chapter House, a dining hall with frescos depicting "the Last Supper" and the Palazzo della Ragione. According to a legend, somewhere in the Benedictine Abbey there would be the original manuscripts of the "Divina Commedia", hidden, possibly, in the walls.

The sign, for those coming from the Romea road, is the tall Romanic bell tower (48 metres), built in 1063. 

 

Torre Abate is by far the most interesting hydraulic facility of the whole Po Delta. Built in 1569 during the Great Estense Drainage, to ease the outflow of water from the Northern Ferrara area into the sea,  this (for the time) state-of-the-art work of hydraulic engineering was situated on the drainage channel, near the access to the sea. The elevated building, used as a guard tower and built-in in the wall protecting the Mesola estate, was built in the 17th century. 

 

Agrifoglio Sewer

It is the oldest existing hydraulic work in the Southern Ferrara area; it was built in the second half of the 17th century. The Sewer will be part of an architectural restoration project.

 

Guard Tower

Built in the early 1700s and commissioned by the Vatican Government, this square-based tower has a floor partially underground with scarp external walls.

 

Balanzetta and Pescarina Pumping Station.

The first plant, next to the Mesola woodland, and the second plant, between canal Bianco and Po di Goro, were built at the end of the 19th century and were powered by steam turbines. 

 

Palù Tower

Built in the second half of the 1700s, the tower is placed on the Canal Bianco near the Mesola woodlands.

The remains of the Woodland Sewer stand nearby.

 

Goro

This settlement dates back to the early 18th century. It became important for its port and for the trade and processing of fish products. It hosts an important shellfish housing and processing facility.

 

Gorino

A few kilometres from Goro, towards the mouth of the Po, Gorino is characterised by its lines of houses along the right bank of the river. It is famous for fishing.

 

Scannone – Lighthouse

This strip of land at the far east end of the Ferrara area hosts a lighthouse of the 1950.

 

Sacca di Goro

It is a river bend between the mouths of Po di Goro and Po di Volano. Interesting for the suggestive natural environment (possibility of boat tours).

 

Gran Bosco della Mesola

A woodland of over a thousand hectares between Po di Goro and Po di Volano, with typical Mediterranean vegetation, mainly holm oaks: inside, a 200-hectare fully protected natural reserve. This area is an extremely interesting biotope, also for the variety of animal species, with the "Dune deer" above all others.

NEWSLETTER

To be constantly updated on the activities of the Management Body for Parks and Biodiversity - Po Delta

Subscribe Unsubscribe

submit
AREA LEADER



View
MAPPARE IL FUTURO

Scientific Website of the Po Delta Park

View